Tuesday, May 30, 2006

X-Men 3 Review


Romijn kickin ass.

Kim and I actually stepped into a movie theater this weekend, the last time over two years ago with Lord of the Rings 3. After the sticker shock of $15 for two matinee tickets wore off, we settled in for what is probably our last official "date" until the munchkin arrives.

I had heard from friends that X3 was pretty good, despite the average review from critics. My expectations were average - all I wanted to see was a mindless summer action flick.
Overall I felt this movie delivered with a simple but believable storyline (if you find mutants believable, you can believe anything). The action scenes and special effects were top notch. The only complaint I have (also echoed by Kim) was that the movie was lacking character development and depth. Without giving away the plot, Phoenix and that bird dude are two notable characters that felt shallow and one-dimensional. Kelsey Grammer as the Beast and Ian McKellen as Magneto were great.

On a scale of one to 10, I give this movie an 7.5. 2 points knocked off for the aforementioned lack of character development. Another 1/2-point knock off for the annoying guy sitting to my left who WOULD NOT SHUT UP. Okay, it's not the fault of the movie, but that lame-ass reminded me of a reason why I gave up on the "movie-going experience".

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike J said...

The theater across the street from me is over ten bucks a pop. I thought the lack of character development was a problem in the first two movies as well. They show you a glimpse of a big character in x-men and then do nothing with him/her. I don't know if i'll see this movie or superman.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:15:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you stick around until after the credits to see the extra scene? It's HUGE.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:46:00 PM

 
Blogger pachoo said...

no actually i didn't can someone tell me about it.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Angela said...

All I want to know is if Patrick Stewart was HOT?

Friday, June 02, 2006 1:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Mike J said...

I heard it was big, I myself am curious as well. Captain Picard is the man.

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:38:00 AM

 
Blogger happyoblivion said...

I don't go to the movies that often anymore for the same reasons: $$$, too many people, jerks in the audience, sticky floors, freezing cold theatre, nowhere to park.

Usually I wait to hear reviews and word-of-mouth, then if it's good, then we go. Unfortunately, sometimes I wait too long, then get busy at work, and then the movie is no longer playing...

But maybe I wait for Cars and Pirates of the Carribean to come out, then see those and movie-hop over to X-men since it's already got enough money to roll around in.

Oh, and always sit through the credits. You already paid your money and sat through 90-120 minutes of movie, you might as well relax and listen to the music and see all the people it takes to make the movie, plus I'm always curious to see where they filmed the movie and what sort of music they used...

Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Mike J said...

Finally saw it. It was good, but lame in that the "cure" is shown not to work at the end. Also caught the ending. BAsically prof X is in that catatonic guy, which is lame. First, catatonic prob doesn't have the x gene and second he doesn't look like captain picard.

With all the violence in the movie, you would think that they could show a little tittie from mystique. I can't remember if rogue still has powers or not.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:09:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home