Thursday, January 25, 2007

Getting Things Done



First mentioned to me by Blog-noochi sometime last year, today I used a Borders GC and picked up a copy of David Allen's book "Getting Things Done". Since the release of his book in 2001, this guy has achieved near cult-like status, especially among IT professionals and the left-wing-techie crowd. So to satisfy my curiosity, I will put his book to the test and see how it works in my own life. Can a married-father-of-one-middle-manager master the "art of stress-free productivity" in all aspect of my life?

In the next three months, I will judge the usefulness of this book on how much it positively impacts the main areas of my life:

Professional area - How succesfull will I be in achieving my quarter's goals? Can I develop and maintain an effective system for managing the paperwork I see on a daily basis?

Personal - Can I develop and maintain an effective system for organizing our household's paperwork? Will I feel that I have spent enough quality time with my wife and daughter?

Spiritual - Will I be able to daily spend quality time reading and studying the Bible? Will I feel as though I have grown spiritually?

If I don't even blog about this book or mention it in the next three months, you will know that for me, the book is an abject failure and similar to the countless other useless business psychology books I have run across in the past 10 years. However, it is my sincere hope that I will find some benefit, even if it means that all I have found is an extra 5 minutes in to enjoy my cup of coffee.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hsu-Kwan said...

Woo hoo!

I'm a big fan of getting things done.

Friday, January 26, 2007 10:56:00 AM

 
Blogger happyoblivion said...

I'm always skeptical, but hey, good luck! Simple is best!

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:38:00 PM

 
Blogger Mike J said...

what is it they say? Self help is better than no help?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:31:00 PM

 
Blogger happyoblivion said...

So, a month later now, have you gotten things done? :)

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home