Mid-Autumn Festival and the Mooncakes

This past Sunday was the Mid-Autumn Festival celebrated by Chinese, and I would imagine most Asians celebrate something similar to it. Mooncakes, as pictured above, are typically eaten during this time. Honestly, I think that mooncakes taste horrible. That weird egg yolk thing stuck in the middle is downright disgusting. I would never say this in public because, well, the wife likes them.
According to legend, the cakes symbolize the overthrow of the Mongols at the end of the Yuan dynasty in the 14th century when secret notes baked into them helped spark an uprising. I guess the Mongols didn't like the taste either, otherwise they would have bitten into them found the notes, right?

8 Comments:
If you don't like the egg yolk, there are pineapple and lotus ones that are pretty tasty. Those are the ones i like, i guess i could eat the bean ones too.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:51:00 AM
You should get the ones without the yolk.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 9:05:00 AM
Haha, your posts always make me laugh Pachoo!
According to Wikipedia, the Mongol thing was the start of the round mooncakes.
But like the others posted, try the lotus one. That's always yummy!
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:10:00 PM
I think I've been tarnished by the old-school mooncakes that were the plain eggyolk-filled ones. MAYBE I should try another kind...and that's a big MAYBE...
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:26:00 AM
There are so many varieties of mooncakes that you can try. I agree, the traditional ones, esp the double-yolk, are disgusting. But I do like the plain ones, the nutty ones, and some with a different filling. Just walk into a Chinese bakery store and you ca find so many varieties of moon cakes.
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:03:00 PM
Time for an PG13-rated joke:
Speaking of Chinese bakeries, there's a bakery near the in-law's called "Domie's Bakery". It's supposed to sound like "Daw May" in Cantonese which I think means very fragrant or good smelling. The ingenious Giang sisters call it "Do Me".
HAR HAR HAR HAR
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:19:00 PM
ROFL!!
That's really quite funny.
Eat the mooncake Pachoo or people will think you're a Mongol sympathizer.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:26:00 AM
hehehehe...is it PG-13?
I'm with TK, eat it or the Han will go revolution on you.
Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:13:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home