80's and 90's Albums That Still Sound Good Part 1
A few weeks ago I was digging through some of my old stuff at my parents' house and came upon a cache of some music CDs from my formative years. Now nearly 10 years out of college, married, and fully allied with THE MAN, I wondered how my musical tastes have changed. Here's the first one:

(What's the Story) Morning Glory by Oasis, 1995
Was it really a decade ago that these guys were supposed to be the next Beatles? Hmm. After popping this sucker into my car CD during one of my daily 2-plus hour grinds from Monterey Park to Santa Ana and back, I was treated to a surprisingly rich and entertaining pop/rock album. Most people remember "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova", but many of the other tracks sound just as good as the aforementioned singles - notably "Roll With It", "Don't Look Back In Anger", and "She's Electric". Even "Wonderwall" and "Supernova" sound really good when they're not being played on the radio every hour. This album is actually good enough to make it on my proverbial If-I-were-stuck-on-an-island-and-had-to-pick-10-records list.

3 Comments:
champagne supernova....that was an awesome song. The beginning with the sound of water...yeah, that's a good album. My little sister almost beaned one of the gallager brothers in santa monica with her passat.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:04:00 PM
I agree. Some bands have lasting ability that doesn't figure until several years later. And other bands are just one-hit wonders.
Hey, you should post your "If-I-were-stuck-on-an-island-and-had-to-pick-10-records" list!
Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:32:00 AM
Does this mean that happyoblivion, the champion of indie and obscure music, admit to liking Oasis?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:56:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home