Monday, June 20, 2005

Feeling Minnesota


Some big axe ride thing at MOA

Just got back from a week-long training session at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. It was my first time in "MPLS" and overall I thought it was a very nice city. A few highlights of the area:

- The Mall of America (the ginormousest mall in America) is overrated. Just imagine your local mall, add another two stories of shops, and there you go...the Mall of America. The indoor rollercoaster thing really isn't that big of a deal once you see it.

- Lakes. Yes, there are a ton of them, some of which are nice to hang out at. I especially liked Lake Calhoun.

- U of M professors. Before this trip, I thought engineering professors would be less inclined to be a part of the "Ivory Tower" of academia. Boy was I wrong. Of the 6 or 7 ChemE professors I listened to, all of them were stuck in their own little research world, making suggestions and conclusions that would NEVER work in industry. Go figure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Hsu-Kwan said...

Lol, what we're some of their suggestions? Did you ride the axe thing?

Monday, June 20, 2005 8:45:00 AM

 
Blogger pachoo said...

One of the worst suggestions was this dude talking about computer simulations using really crazy mathematics - using terms like eigenfunctions and stability analysis. Stuff that I barely got through in grad school and wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Neither would anyone else who attended the class.

The second one was this prof spending almost 2 hours talking about a piece of equipment which actually looked kinda cool, only to say in the end that he patented it and isn't letting anyone use it. Jerk!

No, I didn't ride the axe thing, but it looked kinda cool.

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:06:00 AM

 
Blogger happyoblivion said...

Sounds like maybe you got some nice naps in during the lectures...

Minnesota! You could have gone to see a showing of Whad'ya Know?

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:56:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home