Divorce Rate
I keep hearing (especially in Christian circles) that the divorce rate in America is 50%. So HALF of all marriages end in divorce, or so the statistics supposedly say. Here's an article just published in USA today that the U.S. divorce rate is 17.7 per 1,000 married women, down from 22.6 in 1980. Wait a sec, isn't 17.7 per 1,000 equal to 1.7%? So shouldn't the divorce rate be 1.7%?

8 Comments:
I wonder if that statistic is per year?
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0200806.html
According to this link, it's 49% a few years ago.
Monday, July 18, 2005 12:24:00 PM
I don't know what either statistic is based off of. Even if it's 49%, I still think that's high. More than half of my coworkers (I'm guessing 75%) aren't divored so I dunno.
Monday, July 18, 2005 3:01:00 PM
hmmm...could be a statistical problem? Maybe the rate is in general as opposed to recent marriages? Maybe it doesn't include anullment? I dunno, that's defnitely interesting. Where the heck are these unmarried women?
Monday, July 18, 2005 3:52:00 PM
http://missourifamilies.org/features/divorcearticles/divorcefeature17.htm
I like the description of the statistics from this link.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 6:09:00 AM
So I guess it's incorrect to say that 50% of all marriages will end in divorce.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:22:00 AM
it could be 50% of recent marriages, or 50% of young marriages, or 50% of marriages in a certain region. Researchers often are able to skew data to fit their hypothesis.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:01:00 AM
I read this article 20 times and I still cannot figure out why 50% and why the 1.7%. I am so confused. Forget it, i'll just make sure I don't fall in either of those two percentages.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 1:59:00 PM
Forty percent of the women born in the 1970s will divorce.
wow. i'm curious now as to what the rates are for the other decades.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 10:45:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home