Monday, March 06, 2006

Big West Basketball Tournament



The Big West basketball tournament will begin on Wednesday, and UCR, UCI, and Cal State Long Beach all have spots. UCI is the #2 seeded team, with UCR and CSULB as #8 and #3 respectively. The winner of the tournament will go on to the Big Dance, with the #2 team likely going to the NIT.

Despite being a proud alumni of UCR, I'm expecting them to get creamed in the first round by UCSB. Historically, UCI always chokes when a big game is on the line. CSULB has a great offensive game and probably the best chance of beating out #1 seeded Pacific.

Bracket

6 Comments:

Blogger happyoblivion said...

The Gauchos are going to wipe the floor with the Highlanders. UCR choked when it could have been Division II champs, and it's going to be a very long time before they get anywhere in Division I. Anyhow, that's what they get for stealing the rec center away from the general student populace.

Did you know that when we voted to approve the extra $42 per quarter fees to pay to build the rec center, there was a clause to say it was for intramural use and not for the NCAA level sports? Well, they just waited 4-5 years, after all of us had graduated, then changed the rules so that they could play their games at the rec center. Students paid for the rec center, but get shut out of rec time when it's time for the big guys on campus to play.

Well, I guess I never used the place enough anyways. Hence my out-of-shapedness...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 1:15:00 AM

 
Blogger Mike J said...

That sounds so typical. The student body foots the bill for something and then gets limited access.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:50:00 AM

 
Blogger pachoo said...

Wasn't there some big hullabaloo in the Highlander newspaper about the basketball team taking over the rec center? If I remember correctly, because the attendance fee was waived for students, it qualified as a "student activity" and hence they could take over the rec center.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 4:14:00 PM

 
Blogger happyoblivion said...

UC Santa Barbara took out No. 8 UC Riverside, 76-44, in a Big West Conference tournament game Wednesday.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 12:16:00 AM

 
Blogger pachoo said...

Yikes. UCR got demolished. The Rec Center Curse lives on.

Tonight is Long Beach v. Fullerton. LB has the highest scoring team in the nation so I'm expecting/rooting for them to win tonight.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Mike J said...

Hmmm...Long Beach has a ton of hot Viet girls, but the Titans are in my home town. I may even end up going to school there one day. It's a toss up for me. I need to get some Pac-10 people.

Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:29:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home